2009 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 37 - Limitation of Actions; Abatement and Revivor.
Article 1 - Limitations of Actions
Section 37-1-30 - Action for damages due to childhood sexual abuse; limitation on actions.
37-1-30. Action for damages due to childhood sexual abuse; limitation on actions.
A. An action for damages based on personal injury caused by childhood sexual abuse shall be commenced by a person before the latest of the following dates:
(1) the first instant of the person's twenty-fourth birthday; or
(2) three years from the date of the time that a person knew or had reason to know of the childhood sexual abuse and that the childhood sexual abuse resulted in an injury to the person, as established by competent medical or psychological testimony.
B. As used in this section, "childhood sexual abuse" means behavior that, if prosecuted in a criminal matter, would constitute a violation of:
(1) Section 30-9-11 NMSA 1978, regarding criminal sexual penetration of a minor;
(2) Section 30-9-13 NMSA 1978, regarding criminal sexual contact of a minor; or
(3) the Sexual Exploitation of Children Act [30-6A-1 NMSA 1978].
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.