2006 New Mexico Statutes - Section 66-2-12 — Police authority of division.
66-2-12. Police authority of division.
A. The director and such officers, deputies and inspectors of the division as he shall designate by the issuance of credentials shall have the powers:
(1) of peace officers for the purpose of enforcing the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Code [ 66-1-1 NMSA 1978];
(2) to make arrests upon view and without warrant for any violation committed in their presence of any of the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Code;
(3) when on duty, upon reasonable belief that any vehicle is being operated in violation of any provision of the Motor Vehicle Code, to require the driver thereof to stop and exhibit his driver's license and the registration evidence issued for the vehicle and submit to an inspection of such vehicle, the registration plate and registration evidence thereon or to an inspection and test of the equipment of such vehicle;
(4) [to] inspect any vehicle of a type required to be registered hereunder in any public garage or repair shop or in any place where such vehicles are held for sale or wrecking, for the purpose of locating stolen vehicles and investigating the title and registration thereof; and
(5) to determine by inspection that all dealers and wreckers of vehicles are in compliance with the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Code [ 66-1-1 NMSA 1978] with particular reference to but not limited to the requirements for an established place of business and for records.
B. The director may issue credentials to officers of state and local law enforcement agencies as evidence of the division's intent to fully implement the enforcement of the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Code.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.