2006 New Mexico Statutes - Section 57-26-5 — Disclosures.
A. For each rental-purchase agreement, the lessor shall disclose in the agreement the following items, as applicable:
(1) whether the periodic payment is weekly, monthly or otherwise, the dollar amount of each payment and the total number and total dollar amount of all periodic payments necessary to acquire ownership of the goods;
(2) a statement that the consumer will not own the goods until the consumer has paid the total amount necessary to acquire ownership;
(3) a statement advising the consumer whether the consumer is liable for loss or damage to the goods and, if so, a statement that the liability will not exceed the fair market value of the goods as of the time they are lost or damaged;
(4) a brief description of the goods, sufficient to identify the goods to the consumer and the lessor, including an identification number, if applicable, and a statement indicating whether the goods are new or used. A statement that indicates new goods are used is not a violation of the Rental-Purchase Agreement Act [ 57-26-1 to 57-26-12 NMSA 1978];
(5) a statement of the cash sale price of the goods, but if one rental-purchase agreement involves a lease of two or more items as a set, a statement of the aggregate cash price of all items shall satisfy this requirement;
(6) the total of initial payments paid or required at or before consummation of the rental-purchase agreement or delivery of the goods, whichever is later;
(7) a statement that the total amount of payments does not include other charges or fees and a statement of all other charges or fees;
(8) a statement clearly summarizing the terms of the consumer's option to purchase, including a statement that the consumer has the right to exercise an early purchase option, and the price, formula or method for determining the early purchase price;
(9) a statement identifying the party responsible for maintaining or servicing the goods while they are being rented, together with a description of that responsibility and a statement that if any part of a manufacturer's express warranty covers the goods at the time the consumer acquires ownership of them, it shall be transferred to the consumer, if allowed by the terms of the warranty;
(10) a statement that the consumer may terminate the rental-purchase agreement without penalty by voluntarily surrendering or returning the goods in good repair, reasonable wear and tear excepted, along with any past due rental payments upon expiration of any rental period;
(11) notice of the right to reinstate a rental-purchase agreement, as provided in the Rental-Purchase Agreement Act; and
(12) the following notice printed or typed in a size equal to at least ten-point bold type:
"NOTICE TO THE CONSUMER
Do not sign this agreement before you read it or if it contains blank spaces. You are entitled to a copy of the agreement you sign."
B. With respect to matters governed by the federal Consumer Credit Protection Act, 15 U.S.C. Sections 1601 et seq., compliance with that act satisfies the requirements of this section.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.