2006 New Mexico Statutes - Section 32A-14-3 — Missing child reports; law enforcement agencies; duties.

32A-14-3. Missing child reports; law enforcement agencies; duties.

A.     Upon receiving a report of a child believed to be missing, a law enforcement agency shall:   

(1)     immediately enter identifying and descriptive information about the child into the national crime information center computer. Law enforcement agencies having direct access to the national crime information center computer shall enter and retrieve the data directly and shall cooperate in the entry and retrieval of data on behalf of law enforcement agencies that do not have direct access to the system; and   

(2)     notify the state registrar within twenty-four hours, by telephone, facsimile or electronic transmission, of the missing child. Within three days of this initial notification, the law enforcement agency shall make a written notification in a manner and form prescribed by the state registrar. Both notifications shall include the missing child's name, date of birth, county and state of birth, the mother's maiden name, the name of the noncustodial parent if the parents are not married, the name and telephone number of a contact person at the law enforcement agency reporting and any other information required by the state registrar.   

B.     Immediately after a missing child is located, the law enforcement agency that located or returned the missing child shall notify the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction over the investigation, and the originating agency shall clear the entry from the national crime information center computer and shall, within twenty-four hours, notify the state registrar in writing that the missing child has been located.   

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.