2022 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 18A - Education
Section 18A:3B-78 - Three plus one degree programs.
18A:3B-78 Three plus one degree programs.
1. a. A four-year institution of higher education and a county college may partner to establish a three plus one degree program for a baccalaureate degree in such majors as the institutions of higher education may determine.
b. Under a three plus one degree program established pursuant to this section, a student admitted into the program shall:
(1) complete the first two academic years of the program at the county college, pay the tuition and fees of the county college, and receive an associate degree;
(2) complete the third academic year of the program at the county college and pay the tuition and fees of the county college. Academic credits for the third academic year shall be awarded by the county college. Instruction in the third academic year in any 300-level class shall be provided by either an advanced degree faculty member of the county college in collaboration with a faculty member of the four-year institution or by a faculty member of the four-year institution, in accordance with accreditation standards of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Instruction in the third academic year in any 300-level class shall be equivalent in rigor to instruction in 300-level classes taught at the four-year institution . To maintain academic quality control, in the third year, the course content of courses in the student's major shall be determined by the four-year institution with input from the county college faculty;
(3) be admitted to and attend the four-year institution for the fourth academic year of the program and pay the tuition and fees of that institution; and
(4) earn a baccalaureate degree from the four-year institution.
c. The Secretary of Higher Education shall report annually to the Governor, and to the Legislature pursuant to section 2 of P.L.1991, c.164 (C.52:14-19.1), on the number of three plus one degree programs implemented during the prior academic year.
d. Any three plus one degree program for a baccalaureate degree in a particular major which was established prior to the effective date of this act or approved by the governing boards of the institutions prior to the effective date of this act shall be exempt from the provisions of this section.
L.2018, c.144, s.1.