2021 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 34 - Labor and Workmen's Compensation
Section 34:19-2 - Definitions
2. As used in this act:
a. "Employer" means any individual, partnership, association, corporation or any person or group of persons acting directly or indirectly on behalf of or in the interest of an employer with the employer's consent and shall include all branches of State Government, or the several counties and municipalities thereof, or any other political subdivision of the State, or a school district, or any special district, or any authority, commission, or board or any other agency or instrumentality thereof.
b. "Employee" means any individual who performs services for and under the control and direction of an employer for wages or other remuneration.
c. "Public body" means:
(1) the United States Congress, and State legislature, or any popularly-elected local governmental body, or any member or employee thereof;
(2) any federal, State, or local judiciary, or any member or employee thereof, or any grand or petit jury;
(3) any federal, State, or local regulatory, administrative, or public agency or authority, or instrumentality thereof;
(4) any federal, State, or local law enforcement agency, prosecutorial office, or police or peace officer;
(5) any federal, State or local department of an executive branch of government; or
(6) any division, board, bureau, office, committee or commission of any of the public bodies described in the above paragraphs of this subsection.
d. "Supervisor" means any individual with an employer's organization who has the authority to direct and control the work performance of the affected employee, who has authority to take corrective action regarding the violation of the law, rule or regulation of which the employee complains, or who has been designated by the employer on the notice required under section 7 of this act.
e. "Retaliatory action" means the discharge, suspension or demotion of an employee, or other adverse employment action taken against an employee in the terms and conditions of employment.
f. "Improper quality of patient care" means, with respect to patient care, any practice, procedure, action or failure to act of an employer that is a health care provider which violates any law or any rule, regulation or declaratory ruling adopted pursuant to law, or any professional code of ethics.
L.1986,c.105,s.2; amended 1997, c.98, s.1.