2019 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 45 - Professions and Occupations
Section 45:15-16.38 - Public offering statement; not to be used for promotional purposes; amendments to; right to cancel
45:15-16.38. Public offering statement; not to be used for promotional purposes; amendments to; right to cancel
a. A public offering statement shall disclose fully and accurately the physical characteristics of the subdivided lands offered and shall make known to prospective purchasers all unusual and material circumstances or features affecting those lands. The proposed public offering statement submitted to the commission shall be in a form prescribed by the rules and regulations promulgated pursuant to this act and shall include the following:
(1) The name and principal address of the developer and his authorized New Jersey representative who shall be a licensed real estate broker licensed to maintain offices within this State;
(2) A general description of the subdivision or subdivided lands stating the total number of lots, parcels, units or interests in the offering;
(3) A summary of the terms and conditions of any management contract, lease of recreational areas, or similar contract or agreement affecting the use, maintenance, or access of all or any part of the subdivision or subdivided lands, the effect of each agreement upon a purchaser, and a statement of the relationship, if any, between the developer or subdivider and the managing agent or firm;
(4) The significant terms of any encumbrances, easements, liens and restrictions, including zoning and other regulations affecting the lands and each unit or lot, and a statement of all existing taxes and existing or proposed special taxes or assessments which affect the lands;
(5) A statement of the use for which the property is offered, including, but not limited to:
(a) Information concerning improvements, including hospitals, health and recreational facilities of any kind, streets, water supply, levees, drainage control systems, irrigation systems, sewage disposal facilities and customary utilities; and
(b) The estimated cost, date of completion and responsibility for construction and maintenance of existing and proposed improvements which are referred to in connection with the offering or disposition of any interest in the subdivision or subdivided lands;
(6) The notice, as required in subsection d. of this section, shall, in addition to being contained in all contracts or agreements, be conspicuously located and simply stated in the public offering statement; and
(7) Additional information required by the commission to assure full and fair disclosure to prospective purchasers.
b. The public offering statement shall not be used for any promotional purposes before registration of the subdivided lands and afterwards only if it is used in its entirety. No person may advertise or represent that the commission approves or recommends the subdivided lands or the disposition thereof. No portion of the public offering statement may be underscored, italicized, or printed in larger or heavier or different color type than the remainder of the statement unless the commission requires or permits it.
c. The commission may require the subdivider to alter or amend the proposed public offering statement in order to assure full and fair disclosure to prospective purchasers, and no change in the substance of the promotional plan or plan of disposition or development of the subdivision may be made after registration without notifying the commission and without making an appropriate amendment to the public offering statement. A public offering statement is not current unless all amendments or consolidations are incorporated.
d. Any contract or agreement for the purchase or the leasing of a lot may be rescinded by the purchaser or lessee without cause of any kind by sending or delivering written notice of cancellation by midnight of the seventh calendar day following the day on which the purchaser has executed the contract or agreement. Every contract or agreement shall be in writing and shall contain the following notice in 10-point bold type or larger, directly above the space provided for the signature of the purchaser or lessee:
NOTICE to PURCHASER or LESSEE: You are entitled to the right to cancel this contract by midnight of the seventh calendar day following the day on which you have executed this contract or agreement.
e. The subdivider shall make copies of the public offering statement available to prospective purchasers prior to their signing any contract or agreement.
L.1989, c.239, s.12.