2018 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 43 - PENSIONS AND RETIREMENT AND UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION
Section 43:21-60 - Requirements for provision of additional benefits.
Section: 43:21-60: Requirements for provision of additional benefits.
4. Except as provided in section 8 of this act, the additional benefits indicated in section 5 of this act shall be provided to any individual who:
a. Has received a notice of a permanent termination of employment by the individual's employer or has been laid off and is unlikely to return to his previous employment because work opportunities in the individual's job classification are impaired by a substantial reduction of employment at the worksite;
b. Is, at the time of the layoff or termination, eligible, pursuant to the "unemployment compensation law," R.S.43:21-1 et seq., for unemployment benefits;
c. Enters into the counseling made available pursuant to section 3 of this act as soon as possible following notification by the Department of Labor and Workforce Development of its availability;
d. (1) Notifies the department of the individual's intention to enter into the instruction and training identified in the Employability Development Plan developed pursuant to section 3 of this act, not later than 60 days after the date of the individual's termination or layoff, not later than 30 days after the department provides notice to the individual pursuant to section 6 of this act or not later than 30 days after the Employability Development Plan is developed, whichever occurs last;
(2) Enters into the instruction and training identified in the Employability Development Plan as soon as possible after giving the notice required by paragraph (1) of this subsection d.; and
(3) Maintains satisfactory progress in the instruction and training;
e. Enrolls in occupational training which:
(1) Is training for a labor demand occupation;
(2) Is likely to facilitate a substantial enhancement of the individual's marketable skills and earning power;
(3) Is provided by an approved service provider; and
(4) Does not include on the job training or other training under which the individual is paid by an employer for work performed by the individual during the time that the individual receives additional benefits pursuant to the provisions of section 5 of this act;
f. Enrolls in occupational training, remedial instruction or a combination of both on a full-time basis; and
g. Reasonably can be expected to successfully complete the occupational training and any needed remedial instruction, either during or after the period of additional benefits.
If the requirements of this section are met, the division shall not deny an individual unemployment benefits pursuant to the "unemployment compensation law," R.S.43:21-1 et seq., P.L.1970, c.324 (C.43:21-24.11 et seq.) or the additional benefits indicated in section 5 of this act for any of the following reasons: the training includes remedial instruction needed by the individual to succeed in the occupational component of the training; the individual has identifiable occupational skills but the training services are needed to enable the individual to develop skills necessary to attain at least the level of self-sufficiency; the training is part of a program under which the individual may obtain any college degree enhancing the individual's marketable skills and earning power; the individual has previously received a training grant; the length of the training period under the program; or the lack of a prior guarantee of employment upon completion of the training. If the requirements of this section are met, the division shall regard a training program as approved for the purposes of paragraph (4) of subsection (c) of R.S.43:21-4.
L.1992,c.47,s.4; amended 2001, c.152, s.15; 2005, c.354, s.32.