2018 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 26 - HEALTH AND VITAL STATISTICS
Section 26:2RR-4 - Parkinson's disease public awareness and education program.
Section: 26:2RR-4: Parkinson's disease public awareness and education program.
4. The Commissioner of Health, subject to available appropriations, shall establish a Parkinson's disease public awareness and education program.
a. The purpose of the program shall be to promote public awareness of Parkinson's disease and the value of early detection and possible treatments, including the benefits and risks of those treatments. The Department of Health may accept, for that purpose, any special grant of monies, services, or property from the federal government or any of its agencies, or from any foundation, organization, or medical school.
b. The program shall include the following:
(1) Development of a public education and outreach campaign to promote Parkinson's disease awareness and education, including, but not limited to, the following subjects:
(a) the cause and nature of the disease;
(b) diagnostic procedures and appropriate indications for their use;
(c) lifestyle issues relating to how a person copes with Parkinson's disease, including, but not limited to, nutrition, diet, and physical exercise;
(d) environmental safety and injury prevention; and
(e) availability of Parkinson's disease diagnostic and treatment services in the community;
(2) Development of educational materials to be made available to consumers through local boards of health, physicians, hospitals, and clinics;
(3) Development of professional education programs for health care providers to assist them in understanding research findings and the subjects set forth in paragraph (1) of this subsection;
(4) Development of educational programs for other personnel, including judicial staff, police officers, fire fighters, and social services and emergency medical service providers, to assist them in recognizing the symptoms of Parkinson's disease and understanding how to respond to the needs of persons with the disease in the course of performing their duties, including dissemination of the informational booklet prepared pursuant to section 5 of this act; and
(5) Development and maintenance of a list of current providers of specialized services for the diagnosis and treatment of Parkinson's disease. Dissemination of the list shall be accompanied by a description of diagnostic procedures, appropriate indications for their use, and a cautionary statement about the current status of Parkinson's disease research and treatment. The statement shall also indicate that the department does not endorse specific Parkinson's disease programs or centers in this State.
L.2014, c.76, s.4.