2018 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 10 - CIVIL RIGHTS
Section 10:5-45 - Informed consent required to obtain genetic information
Section: 10:5-45: Informed consent required to obtain genetic information
6. No person shall obtain genetic information from an individual, or from an individual's DNA sample, without first obtaining informed consent from the individual or the individual's representative according to regulations promulgated by the Commissioner of Health and Senior Services, in consultation with the Commissioner of Banking and Insurance, pursuant to subsection b. of section 9 of P.L.1996, c.126 (C.10:5-48).
a. The requirements of this section shall not apply to genetic information obtained:
(1) By a State, county, municipal or federal law enforcement agency for the purposes of establishing the identity of a person in the course of a criminal investigation or prosecution;
(2) To determine paternity in accordance with the provisions of section 11 of P.L.1983, c.17 (C.9:17-48);
(3) Pursuant to the provisions of the "DNA Database and Databank Act of 1994," P.L.1994, c.136 (C.53:1-20.17 et seq.);
(4) To determine the identity of deceased individuals;
(5) For anonymous research where the identity of the subject will not be released;
(6) Pursuant to newborn screening requirements established by State or federal law; or
(7) As authorized by federal law for the identification of persons.
b. In the case of a policy of life insurance or a disability income insurance contract, informed consent shall be obtained pursuant to the provisions of P.L.1985, c.179 (C.17:23A-1 et seq.).