2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 46 - PROPERTY
Section 46:8-9.6 - Requirements for termination of lease.
46:8-9.6 Requirements for termination of lease.
3. The tenant may terminate any lease of a residential property that has been leased and used by the tenant solely for the purpose of providing a dwelling place for the tenant, or for the tenant's family, prior to the expiration date thereof, if the tenant fulfills all requirements and procedures as established by P.L.2008, c.111 (C.46:8-9.4 et al.) and provides the landlord with:
a. written notice that the tenant or a child of the tenant faces an imminent threat of serious physical harm from another named person if the tenant remains on the leased premises; and
b. any of the following:
(1) a certified copy of a permanent restraining order issued by a court pursuant to section 13 of "The Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991," P.L.1991, c.261 (C.2C:25-29), and protecting the tenant from the person named in the written notice;
(2) a certified copy of a permanent restraining order from another jurisdiction, issued pursuant to the jurisdiction's laws concerning domestic violence, and protecting the tenant from the person named in the written notice;
(3) a law enforcement agency record documenting the domestic violence, or certifying that the tenant or a child of the tenant is a victim of domestic violence;
(4) medical documentation of the domestic violence provided by a health care provider;
(5) certification, provided by a certified Domestic Violence Specialist, or the director of a designated domestic violence agency, that the tenant or a child of the tenant is a victim of domestic violence; or
(6) other documentation or certification, provided by a licensed social worker, that the tenant or a child of the tenant is a victim of domestic violence.
L.2008, c.111, s.3.