2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Section 40A:9-161 - Removal of officers and employees; procedure; exceptions

40A:9-161. Removal of officers and employees; procedure; exceptions

In any municipality wherein Title 11 (Civil Service) of the Revised Statutes is not operative and unless otherwise provided by law, no officer or employee of such municipality who has tenure in office shall be removed from his office or position except upon written charges, signed by the person making such charges. The complaint shall be filed with the governing body of such municipality and a copy thereof shall be served upon the officer or employee so charged, with notice of a designated time and place for the hearing thereon which shall be not less than 10 days nor later than 30 days from the service of the complaint.

The officer or employee so charged and the governing body shall have the right to be represented by counsel and the power to subpena witnesses and documentary evidence. The governing body shall prescribe rules and regulations for the conduct of the hearing.

No such officer or employee shall be removed from his office or position for political reasons or except as otherwise provided by law, because of a change in the form of government.

The Superior Court shall have jurisdiction to review the determination of the governing body, which court shall hear the cause de novo on the record below and affirm, modify or set aside the determination.

Either party may supplement the record with additional testimony subject to the rules of evidence.

The removal procedures set forth in this section shall not apply to officers for which specific removal procedures are elsewhere provided by law.

L.1971, c. 200, s. 1, eff. July 1, 1971. Amended by L.1981, c. 75, s. 4, eff. March 23, 1981; L.1981, c. 393, s. 27, eff. Jan. 6, 1982.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.