2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 40A - MUNICIPALITIES AND COUNTIES
Section 40A:5-14.5 - Dedicated trust fund, investment oversight board.
40A:5-14.5 Dedicated trust fund, investment oversight board.
4. a. (1) Upon final approval of an ordinance by the municipal governing body pursuant to subsection c. of section 3 of P.L.2008, c.65 (C.40A:5-14.4), the Local Finance Board may order that the proceeds from the disposition of municipal assets, described in section 3 of P.L.2008, c.65 (C.40A:5-14.4), shall be deposited in a dedicated trust fund which shall be managed in accordance with the provisions of this subsection.
(2) Funds, for purposes described in the approved allocation plan, may be disbursed from the dedicated trust fund and shall be invested and managed pursuant to the provisions of the allocation plan required pursuant to subsection b. of this section, and the investment plan approved pursuant to subsection l. of this section.
b. The management of funds in the dedicated trust fund shall be the responsibility of an investment oversight board which shall be organized immediately after each member provided for in subsection c. of this section has qualified and taken the oath of office.
c. The investment oversight board of a dedicated trust fund established pursuant to this section shall consist of three members as follows:
(1) The mayor of the municipality, ex-officio, or his designee;
(2) One member of the municipal council of the municipality, selected by a majority of its members, ex-officio, or his designee; and
(3) The chief financial officer of the municipality, ex-officio.
d. Each investment oversight board member shall, within 10 days after his appointment or selection, take an oath of office that so far as it devolves upon him, he will diligently and honestly administer the affairs of the board, and that he will not knowingly violate or willingly permit to be violated any of the provisions of law applicable to the dedicated trust fund. The oath shall be subscribed by the member making it, and certified by the officer before whom it is taken, and immediately filed in the office of the clerk of the municipality and in the office of the Secretary of State.
e. The members of the investment oversight board shall serve without compensation, but they shall be reimbursed by the municipality for all reasonable and necessary expenses that they incur through service on the board.
f. Each investment oversight board member shall be entitled to one vote on the board. A unanimous vote shall be necessary for a decision by the members at any meeting of the board; provided, however, that no vote shall be necessary for the annual distribution of earnings from the dedicated trust fund to the municipality for municipal property tax relief, if so provided in the allocation plan ordinance adopted pursuant to section 3 of P.L.2008, c.65 (C.40A:5-14.4).
g. Subject to the requirements and limitations of P.L.2008, c.65 (C.40A:5-14.2 et al.), the investment oversight board shall, from time to time, establish an investment management plan for the administration of the dedicated trust fund established pursuant to this section.
h. The investment oversight board shall elect from its membership a chairman. Any member of the board so elected shall serve as the chairman for a term of two years and until election of his successor. When the term of office of an elected official ends prior to the completion of his two-year chairmanship term, then a new chairman shall be selected for a term of two years.
i. The Director of the Division of Investment in the Department of the Treasury, or a designee, shall be the secretary to any investment oversight board established pursuant to this section.
j. An investment oversight board solely shall use the services of the State Division of Investment to manage the business of its dedicated trust fund.
k. The Attorney General of the State of New Jersey shall be the legal advisor to any investment oversight board established pursuant to this section.
l. The assets of a dedicated trust fund established pursuant to this section shall be maintained, invested, and expended solely in accordance with an approved investment plan entered into pursuant to section 5 of P.L.2008, c.65 (C.40A:5-14.6); provided, however, that an investment plan shall not permit the assets of the dedicated trust fund to be loaned, transferred, or otherwise used by the State or any of its political subdivisions. This subsection shall not be construed to prohibit the investment oversight board from investing in, by purchase or otherwise, bonds, notes, or other obligations of the State or of an agency or instrumentality of the State.
L.2008, c.65, s.4.