2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 40A - MUNICIPALITIES AND COUNTIES
Section 40A:4-45.46 - Public question submitted for approval to raise taxes above the limitation allowable.
40A:4-45.46 Public question submitted for approval to raise taxes above the limitation allowable.
11. a. (Deleted by amendment, P.L.2009, c.44)
b. (1) The governing body of a local unit may request approval, through a public question submitted to the legal voters residing in its territory to increase the amount to be raised by taxation by more than the allowable adjusted tax levy. Approval shall be by an affirmative vote of in excess of 50 percent of the people voting on the question at the election. The local unit budget proposing the increase shall be introduced and approved in the manner otherwise provided for budgets of that local unit at least 20 days prior to the date on which the referendum is to be held, and shall be published in the manner otherwise provided for budgets of the local unit at least 12 days prior to the referendum date, unless otherwise directed by the Director of the Division of Local Government Services in the Department of Community Affairs.
(2) The public question to be submitted to the voters at the referendum shall state only the amount by which the adjusted tax levy shall be increased by more than the otherwise allowable adjusted tax levy, and the percentage rate of increase which that amount represents over the allowable adjusted tax levy. The public question shall include an accompanying explanatory statement that identifies the changes in appropriations or revenues that warranted the governing body's decision to ask the public question; or, in the alternative and subject to the approval of the Director of the Division of Local Government Services in the Department of Community Affairs, a clear and concise narrative explanation of the circumstances for the increased adjusted tax levy being proposed.
(3) Unless otherwise provided pursuant to section 1 of P.L.1989, c.31 (C.40A:4-5.1), a referendum conducted pursuant to this subsection shall be held:
(a) for calendar year budgets only on the fourth Tuesday in January and the second Tuesday in March; and
(b) for fiscal year budgets, only the last Tuesday in September, or the second Tuesday in December.
(4) Any decision of the voters rejecting an increase to the tax levy cap under this subsection shall be final and conclusive, and no appeal or review shall be taken therefrom and no waiver application shall be made to the Local Finance Board.
(5) The director is authorized to act as necessary in order to consolidate ballot questions and procedures when a governing body elects to hold a referendum under both this section and section 9 of P.L.1983, c.49 (C.40A:4-45.16).
c. (Deleted by amendment, P.L.2010, c.44)
d. The adjusted tax levy shall be increased or decreased accordingly whenever the responsibility and associated cost of an activity performed by a local unit is transferred to or from a local unit, other government entity, or other service provider.
L.2007, c.62, s.11; amended 2010, c.44, s.10; 2011, c.37, s.34; 2011, c.134, s.60.