2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 40A - MUNICIPALITIES AND COUNTIES
Section 40A:2-14 - Local improvement obligations
40A:2-14. Local improvement obligations
a. Any bond ordinance to finance any local improvement, in addition to other required provisions, shall contain:
1. a determination of the amount or the percentage of the cost which the local unit will contribute to the payment of the cost of the local improvement;
2. a statement of the number of annual installments in which the special assessments may be paid, not exceeding 20, or the average thereof if more than 1 local improvement is being financed; and
3. a statement of the estimated maximum amount of the special assessments.
b. Before or after confirmation of special assessments, a local unit may authorize and issue obligations to finance a local improvement, except that
1. a local unit may not issue bonds to finance its share of the cost of a local improvement in excess of the amount or percentage of contribution;
2. bonds to finance the cost of a local improvement to be assessed against properties may not be issued in excess of the stated estimated maximum amount of special assessments, or the amount of special assessments then confirmed, unpaid and not delinquent.
c. Bonds to finance that part of the cost of a local improvement which is to be assessed on property shall not be issued to finance any other additional purpose and shall include in the title thereof the word "assessment" .
L.1960, c. 169, s. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1962. Amended by L.1983, c. 169, s. 2, eff. May 3, 1983.