2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 40A - MUNICIPALITIES AND COUNTIES
Section 40A:14-215 - Appointment of EMTs by municipality.
40A:14-215 Appointment of EMTs by municipality.
1. a. The provisions of any other law to the contrary notwithstanding, the appointing authority of a municipality which employs emergency medical technicians may appoint as a member thereof any person who:
(1) was employed as an emergency medical technician by any municipality;
(2) has satisfactorily completed a working test period in an emergency medical technician title in a municipality which has adopted Title 11A, Civil Service, of the New Jersey Statutes or satisfactorily completed a comparable, documented probationary period in an emergency medical technician title in a municipality which has not adopted Title 11A, Civil Service;
(3) was, for reasons of economy, terminated as an emergency medical technician within 60 months prior to the appointment; and
(4) was, at the time of termination in good standing with the municipal employer.
b. A municipality may employ such a person notwithstanding that:
(1) Title 11A, Civil Service, of the New Jersey Statutes is operative in that municipality;
(2) the municipality has available to it an eligible or regular reemployment list of persons eligible for such appointments; and
(3) the appointed person is not on any eligible list. A municipality which has adopted Title 11A, Civil Service, may not employ such a person if a special reemployment list is in existence for the emergency medical technician title to be filled.
c. If a municipality determines to appoint a person pursuant to the provisions of this act, it shall give first priority in making such appointments to residents of the municipality and second priority to residents of the county not residing in the municipality.
d. The seniority, seniority-related privileges and, if applicable, promotion title above the entry level title that an emergency medical technician possessed with the employer who terminated the emergency medical technician's employment for reasons of economy shall not be transferable to a new position when the emergency medical technician is appointed to a position pursuant to the provisions of this section.
L.2011, c.329, s.2.