2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 40A - MUNICIPALITIES AND COUNTIES
Section 40A:14-197 - Provision of debriefing, counseling services.
40A:14-197 Provision of debriefing, counseling services.
3. a. The debriefing and counseling services available under a program established pursuant to P.L.1998, c.148 (C.40A:14-195 et seq.) shall be provided by appropriately licensed or certified psychologists and social workers who are either employees of the county or under contract to provide such professional services to the county. No employee of a county or municipal law enforcement agency, department or force shall provide any debriefing or counseling services under the program; provided, however, nothing herein shall be construed to prohibit any county or municipal law enforcement agency, department or force from establishing an internal, administrative debriefing and counseling program to identify law enforcement officers or sheriff's officers who may benefit from the services available under the county crisis intervention services program and to refer those officers to those services.
b. Former law enforcement officers and other persons who are not licensed or certified as psychologists or social workers and who are not currently employed by any county or municipal law enforcement agency may be employed by the county to provide debriefing and counseling services; provided those former law enforcement officers and other persons are:
(1) currently enrolled in an educational program to acquire such licensing or certification; or
(2) familiar with the emotional crises and psychological stresses, tensions and anxieties associated with law enforcement duty; or
(3) trained to provide specialized or supplemental counseling services involving domestic violence, substance abuse, gambling, marriage and family life, and such other topics as the county crisis intervention services advisory council, established pursuant to section 4 of this act, may deem necessary; and
(4) perform those debriefing and counseling services under the direct supervision of a licensed or certified psychologist, psychiatrist, or social worker.