2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 40A - MUNICIPALITIES AND COUNTIES
Section 40A:14-145 - Appointment of temporary members and officers; general qualifications; termination of employment
40A:14-145. Appointment of temporary members and officers; general qualifications; termination of employment
In any municipality wherein Title 11 (Civil Service) of the Revised Statutes is in operation, and a vacancy occurs in the police department or force by reason of the granting of a leave of absence, as provided by law, the appointing authority shall certify to the Civil Service Commission the reason for such vacancy, the name of the person and his office or position.
The appointing authority may fill temporarily such office or position by the appointment of any person who:
(1) is over 21 and under 45 years of age;
(2) is a citizen of the United States and a resident of New Jersey;
(3) is able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently;
(4) is of good moral character; and
(5) has not been convicted of any criminal offense involving moral turpitude.
Such temporary employment shall terminate upon the date the appointee's predecessor returns to his duties, or when it is determined that said predecessor will not return, or sooner, when deemed advisable by said appointing authority.
L.1971, c. 197, s. 1, eff. July 1, 1971. Amended by L.1972, c. 3, s. 20, eff. Feb. 15, 1972.