2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Section 4:1C-26 - Filing of complaint against agricultural operation

Universal Citation: NJ Rev Stat § 4:1C-26 (2017)

4:1C-26. Filing of complaint against agricultural operation

a. In all relevant actions filed subsequent to the effective date of P.L.1983, c.32 (C.4:1C-11 et al.), there shall exist an irrebuttable presumption that no agricultural operation, activity or structure which is conducted or located within a municipally approved program, or on land from which a development easement has been conveyed pursuant to section 17 of P.L.1983, c.32 (C.4:1C-24), and which conforms to agricultural management practices approved by the committee, and all relevant federal or State statutes or rules and regulations adopted pursuant thereto and which does not pose a direct threat to public health and safety shall constitute a public or private nuisance, nor shall any such operation, activity or structure be deemed to otherwise invade or interfere with the use and enjoyment of any other land or property.

b. In the event that any person wishes to file a complaint to modify or enjoin an agricultural operation or activity under the belief that the operation or activity violates the provisions of subsection a. of this section, that person shall, 30 days prior to instituting any action in a court of competent jurisdiction, petition the board to act as an informal mediator.

c. The board shall, in the course of its regular or special meetings but within 30 days of receipt of the petition, seek to facilitate the resolution of any dispute. No statement or expression of opinion made in the course of a meeting concerning the dispute shall be deemed admissible in any subsequent judicial proceeding thereon.

L.1983, c.32, s.19; amended 1989,c.310,s.3.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.