2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 18A - EDUCATION
Section 18A:64G-6.1 - Board of directors of University Hospital; appointment; organization; powers.
18A:64G-6.1 Board of directors of University Hospital; appointment; organization; powers.
3. a. The management, supervision, and administration of University Hospital shall be vested in an 11-member board of directors of University Hospital. The board shall be comprised of:
(1) four members who shall serve ex-officio including: the Dean of New Jersey Medical School, the Dean of New Jersey Dental School, the President of Rutgers, The State University or a designee, and the Chancellor of the School of Biomedical and Health Sciences of Rutgers University; and
(2) seven public members, three of whom shall be appointed by the Governor, with the advice and consent of the Senate, for a five-year term with one of these members being a resident of the City of Newark; and four of whom shall be appointed by the Governor without the advice and consent of the Senate, for a five-year term, except that upon the expiration of the term of these initial four members appointed pursuant to P.L.2012, c.45 (C.18A:64M-1 et al.), all seven public members appointed by the Governor shall require the advice and consent of the Senate.
A member of the board of directors shall serve until the member's successor is appointed and has qualified. Any vacancies in the membership occurring other than by expiration of term shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment but for the unexpired term only. Each member of the board of directors before entering upon the member's duties shall take and subscribe an oath to perform the duties of the office faithfully, impartially, and justly to the best of the member's ability. A record of the oath shall be filed in the office of the Secretary of State. Each member of the board may be removed from office by the Governor, for cause, after a public hearing.
b. The members of the board of directors shall meet at the call of the Governor for purposes of organizing. The board shall thereafter meet at such times and places as it shall designate.
c. The Governor shall designate one of the members as chairman of the board of directors. The board shall select the other officers from among its members as shall be deemed necessary.
d. The board of directors shall have the power to appoint and regulate the duties and procedures of committees, standing or special, from its members and such advisory committees or bodies, as it may deem necessary or conducive to the efficient management and operation of the hospital.
e. The board shall have the power and duty to exercise general oversight over the affairs of University Hospital to ensure the fulfillment of its mission and to:
(1) direct and control expenditures of University Hospital funds;
(2) borrow money;
(3) enter into contracts with the State or federal government, or any individual, firm, or corporation;
(4) solicit and accept grant moneys;
(5) acquire, own, lease, dispose of, use, and operate property;
(6) sue and be sued;
(7) enter into a contract or other agreement with a nonprofit corporation operating one or more hospitals in New Jersey to operate and manage or assist in the operation and management of University Hospital; and
(8) hire, fire, and fix salaries for all employees of University Hospital.
L.2006, c.95, s.3; amended 2012, c.45, s.73.