2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 18A - EDUCATION
Section 18A:6-135 - Development, establishment of Response to Intervention framework.
18A:6-135 Development, establishment of Response to Intervention framework.
1. a. The Commissioner of Education shall develop and establish an initiative to support and encourage the use of a Response to Intervention framework by school districts to promote the achievement of all students. The initiative shall include dissemination of information and guidance to school districts regarding the development and effective implementation of a Response to Intervention framework as a methodology to identify struggling learners, maximize student achievement, and reduce behavioral problems. The initiative shall also include dissemination of information and guidance to school districts regarding the effective use of a Response to Intervention framework as a methodology to identify students with specific learning disabilities in accordance with the "Individuals with Disabilities Education Act," 20 U.S.C. s.1400 et seq. The information and guidance provided to school districts shall make clear that a Response to Intervention framework is not a substitute for classification of a student as eligible for special education and related services if the student requires classification.
b. The commissioner shall ensure that a Response to Intervention framework implemented by a school district includes, at a minimum, the following elements:
(1) high quality research-based instruction in the general education setting;
(2) universal screening procedures to identify students at risk for poor learning outcomes or behavioral challenges;
(3) multiple levels of evidence-based interventions that are progressively more intense, based on the student's responsiveness; and
(4) continuous monitoring of student progress.
c. The commissioner shall make available technical assistance and training to assist school districts in the implementation of a Response to Intervention framework.
L.2016, c.48, s.1.