2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 18A - EDUCATION
Section 18A:6-114 - Comprehensive program of after school activities in certain districts.
18A:6-114 Comprehensive program of after school activities in certain districts.
1. a. In counties in which there is located a municipality that had a population of 60,000 persons or more, as reported in the latest federal decennial census published prior to the enactment of this act, the board of education of each district that is a district factor group A or B school district that also is a kindergarten through grade 12 district with a concentration of at-risk pupils greater than 40%, in conjunction with the local governing body of the municipality in which the district is located, shall develop a plan for a comprehensive program of after school activities for students enrolled in the district.
b. The plan shall include, but need not be limited to, the following:
(1) the goals and objectives of the program and the ways in which it will serve the needs and interests of the students in the district;
(2) a detailed description of the recreational, academic and civic enrichment activities that will be offered pursuant to the program;
(3) the background and qualifications of personnel who will direct and supervise the program;
(4) a schedule of the days and hours during which the program will operate;
(5) the criteria which will be utilized to determine eligibility for student participation in the program;
(6) an estimate of the number of students who will be served by the program;
(7) an estimate of the overall cost of the program and the amount of general fund tax levy required to be raised by the district to support the program; and
(8) any other information which the board determines to be necessary.
c. After the plan has been developed, the board of education, in conjunction with the local governing body, shall conduct two public hearings to receive community input on the plan.
d. After the plan for the comprehensive program of after school activities has been adopted by resolution of the board of education, the amount of any additional general fund tax levy required to be raised by the district to implement the program required pursuant to this act shall be submitted to the voters of the district or the board of school estimate, as appropriate; except that the amount of any additional general fund tax levy shall not exceed $2,000,000. If approved by the voters or the board of school estimate, the amount so approved shall be assessed, levied and collected in the manner provided by law. If the voters or the board of school estimate does not approve the additional general fund tax levy, the district shall not be required to implement the plan developed pursuant to this act.
e. Any additional general fund tax levy raised to implement the comprehensive program of after school activities established pursuant to this act shall not be used to supplant State or local funds allocated to support after school programs operated by the district as of the effective date of this act.
f. Amounts raised for the comprehensive program of after school activities established pursuant to this act shall be accounted for in a special revenue fund and used solely for the purposes of the program.
g. The amount of any additional general fund tax levy raised in any budget year pursuant to subsection d. of this section shall be an adjustment to the district's tax levy growth limitation as calculated pursuant to section 3 of P.L.2007, c.62 (C.18A:7F-38).
L.2009, c.80, s.1; amended 2010, c.44, s.1.