2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 18A - EDUCATION
Section 18A:46-13.5 - Use of physical restraint on students with disabilities.
18A:46-13.5 Use of physical restraint on students with disabilities.
2. a. A school district, an educational services commission, or an approved private school for students with disabilities that utilizes physical restraint on students with disabilities shall ensure that:
(1) physical restraint is used only in an emergency in which the student is exhibiting behavior that places the student or others in immediate physical danger;
(2) a student is not restrained in the prone position, unless the student's primary care physician authorizes, in writing, the use of this restraint technique;
(3) staff members who are involved in the restraint of a student receive training in safe techniques for physical restraint from an entity determined by the board of education to be qualified to provide such training, and that the training is updated at least annually;
(4) the parent or guardian of a student is immediately notified when physical restraint is used on that student, which notification may be by telephone or electronic communication. A full written report of the incident of physical restraint shall be provided to the parent or guardian within 48 hours of the occurrence of the incident;
(5) each incident in which a physical restraint is used is carefully and continuously visually monitored to ensure that it was used in accordance with established procedures set forth in a board policy developed in conjunction with the entity that trains staff in safe techniques for physical restraint, in order to protect the safety of the child and others; and
(6) each incident in which physical restraint is used is documented in writing in sufficient detail to enable the staff to use this information to develop or improve the behavior intervention plan at the next individualized education plan meeting.
b. A school district, an educational services commission, and an approved private school for students with disabilities shall attempt to minimize the use of physical restraints through inclusion of positive behavior supports in the student's behavior intervention plans developed by the individualized education plan team.
L.2017, c.291, s.2.