2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 18A - EDUCATION
Section 18A:44-6 - Division of Early Childhood Education.
18A:44-6 Division of Early Childhood Education.
2. a. There is established a Division of Early Childhood Education in the Department of Education. The administrator and head of the division shall be a person qualified by training and experience to perform the duties of the division and shall devote his entire time to the performance of those duties.
b. The division shall be responsible for:
(1) setting required standards for early childhood education programs in districts that operate preschool programs for three- and four-year olds that emphasize the quality necessary to meet children's needs, including, but not limited to, standards for teacher qualifications, program design and facilities;
(2) identifying and disseminating information on model early childhood education programs that meet and exceed high standards for program quality;
(3) the coordination of early childhood programs and services in consultation with the Department of Human Services;
(4) identifying the amount of funds necessary to implement successful early childhood education programs based on a comprehensive needs assessment;
(5) providing assistance, as needed, to school districts in implementing early childhood education programs;
(6) implementing the early childhood education orders of the New Jersey Supreme Court;
(7) overseeing the evaluation and monitoring of early childhood education programs in districts that operate preschool programs for three- and four-year olds; and
(8) providing, in consultation with the Department of Human Services, an annual report to the Legislature and public on early childhood education.
L.2000, c.139, s.2; amended 2007, c.260, s.70.