2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 18A - EDUCATION
Section 18A:39-1.5 - Adoption of policy regarding transportation of students who walk along hazardous routes.
18A:39-1.5 Adoption of policy regarding transportation of students who walk along hazardous routes.
2. a. A school district that provides courtesy busing services shall adopt a policy regarding the transportation of students who must walk to and from school along hazardous routes. The policy shall include a list of hazardous routes in the district requiring the courtesy busing of students and the criteria used in designating the hazardous routes. In adopting its policy, the school district may consider, but shall not be limited to, the following criteria:
(1) Population density;
(2) Traffic volume;
(3) Average vehicle velocity;
(4) Existence or absence of sufficient sidewalk space;
(5) Roads and highways that are winding or have blind curves;
(6) Roads and highways with steep inclines and declines;
(7) Drop-offs that are in close proximity to a sidewalk;
(8) Bridges or overpasses that must be crossed to reach the school;
(9) Train tracks or trestles that must be crossed to reach the school; and
(10) Busy roads or highways that must be crossed to reach the school.
b. A school district shall work in conjunction with municipal officials in determining the criteria necessary for the designation of a hazardous route.