2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 17B - INSURANCE
Section 17B:32-51 - Notice of liquidation order
17B:32-51. Notice of liquidation order
21. a. Unless the court otherwise directs, the liquidator shall give or cause to be given notice of the liquidation order as soon as possible:
(1) By first class mail and either by telegram or telephone to the commissioner or insurance regulator of each jurisdiction in which the insurer is doing business;
(2) By first class mail to the guaranty association and any foreign guaranty association which is or may become obligated as a result of the liquidation;
(3) By first class mail to all insurance agents of the insurer;
(4) By first class mail to all persons known or reasonably expected to have claims against the insurer, including all policyholders, at their last known address as indicated by the records of the insurer; and
(5) By publication in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the insurer has its principal place of business and in such other locations as the liquidator deems appropriate.
b. Except as otherwise established by the liquidator with approval of the court, notice to potential claimants under subsection a. of this section shall require claimants to file with the liquidator their claims, together with proper proofs thereof under section 35 of this act, on or before a date the liquidator shall specify in the notice. The liquidator need not require persons claiming cash surrender values or other investment values in life insurance and annuities to file a claim. All claimants shall have a duty to keep the liquidator informed of any changes of address.
c. (1) Notice under subsection a. of this section to agents of the insurer and to potential claimants who are policyholders shall include, where applicable, notice that coverage by state guaranty associations may be available for all or part of policy benefits in accordance with applicable state guaranty association laws.
(2) The liquidator shall promptly provide to the guaranty associations such information concerning the identities and addresses of policyholders and their policy coverages as may be within the liquidator's possession or control, and otherwise cooperate with guaranty associations to assist them in providing to those policyholders timely notice of the guaranty associations' coverage of policy benefits, including, as applicable, coverage of claims and continuation or termination of coverages.
d. If notice is given in accordance with this section, the distribution of assets of the insurer under this act shall be conclusive with respect to all claimants, whether or not they received notice.