2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 17B - INSURANCE
Section 17B:32-36 - Cooperation with commissioner in proceedings
17B:32-36. Cooperation with commissioner in proceedings
6. a. Any officer, manager, director, trustee, owner, employee or agent of any insurer, or any other person with authority over or in charge of any segment of the insurer's affairs, including any person who exercises control directly or indirectly over activities of the insurer through any holding company or other affiliate of the insurer, shall cooperate with the commissioner in any proceeding under this act or any investigation preliminary to the proceeding. The term "cooperate" shall include, but shall not be limited to, the following:
(1) Replying promptly in writing to any inquiry from the commissioner requesting such a reply; and
(2) Making available to the commissioner any books, accounts, documents, or other records or information or property of or pertaining to the insurer and in his possession, custody or control.
b. No person shall obstruct or interfere with the commissioner in the conduct of any delinquency proceeding or any investigation preliminary or incidental thereto.
c. This section shall not be construed to abridge any other existing legal rights, including the right to resist a petition for liquidation or other delinquency proceedings, or other orders.
d. Any person who fails to cooperate with the commissioner pursuant to subsection a. of this section, or who obstructs or interferes with the commissioner pursuant to subsection b. of this section, or who violates any order the commissioner issued validly under this act shall:
(1) Be subject to a civil penalty of not more than $10,000 or to imprisonment for not more than one year, or both; or
(2) After a hearing, be subject to an administrative penalty imposed by the commissioner of not more than $10,000 and to the revocation or suspension of any insurance licenses issued by the commissioner.