2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 17B - INSURANCE
Section 17B:32-31 - Short title, purpose of act
17B:32-31. Short title, purpose of act
1. a. This act shall be known and may be cited as the "Life and Health Insurers Rehabilitation and Liquidation Act."
b. The purpose of this act is the protection of the interests of insureds, claimants, creditors and the public generally through:
(1) Early detection of any potentially dangerous condition in an insurer, and prompt application of appropriate corrective measures;
(2) Improved methods for rehabilitating insurers, involving the cooperation and management expertise of the life and health insurance industry;
(3) Enhanced efficiency and economy of liquidation, through clarification of the law, to minimize legal uncertainty and litigation;
(4) Equitable apportionment of any unavoidable loss;
(5) Lessening the problems of interstate rehabilitation and liquidation by facilitating cooperation between states in the liquidation process, and by extending the scope of personal jurisdiction over debtors of the insurer outside this State;
(6) Regulation of the insurance industry by the impact of the law relating to delinquency procedures and substantive rules on the entire life and health insurance industry; and
(7) Providing for a comprehensive scheme for the rehabilitation and liquidation of life and health insurers and others subject to this act as part of the regulation of the business of insurance, insurance industry and insurers in this State. Proceedings in cases of insurer insolvency and delinquency are deemed an integral aspect of the business of insurance and are of vital public interest and concern.