2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 17B - INSURANCE
Section 17B:27-66 - Renewal of coverage; exceptions
17B:27-66. Renewal of coverage; exceptions
26. A health insurer which offers health insurance coverage in connection with a group health plan shall renew the coverage under the plan at the option of the policy holder, except that:
a. A health insurer may discontinue the coverage only if:
(1) the policy holder has failed to pay premiums or contributions in accordance with the terms of the health insurance coverage or the insurer has not received timely premium payments;
(2) the policy holder has performed an act or practice that constitutes fraud or made an intentional misrepresentation of material fact under the terms of the health insurance coverage; and
(3) in the case of a health insurer which offers a group health plan through a network plan, there is no longer any enrollee in the plan who lives, resides or works in the service area of the insurer or in the area for which the insurer is authorized to do business; or
b. A health insurer may not renew the health insurance coverage only if:
(1) the policy holder has failed to comply with a material plan provision relating to employer contribution or group participation rules; or
(2) the insurer is ceasing to offer coverage in the market in accordance with State and federal law.
c. A health insurer may cease offering and not renew a particular type of health insurance coverage only if:
(1) the insurer provides notice to each certificate or policy holder who is provided coverage of this type, and to participants and beneficiaries covered under the coverage of the nonrenewal at least 90 days prior to the date of the nonrenewal of the coverage;
(2) the insurer offers the option to purchase all or any other health insurance coverage that the insurer offers; and
(3) in exercising the option to not renew coverage of a particular type and in offering the option to purchase all or any other health insurance coverage that the insurer offers, the insurer acts uniformly without regard to the claims experience of the certificate or policy holder or any health status-related factor relating to any participants or beneficiaries covered or new participants or beneficiaries who may become eligible for the coverage.
d. A health insurer may cease offering and not renew all health insurance coverage only if:
(1) the insurer provides notice to the Department of Banking and Insurance and each employer and participants and beneficiaries covered under the health insurance coverage, of the nonrenewal at least 180 days prior to the date of the nonrenewal;
(2) the insurer ceases offering all health insurance coverage issued or delivered for issuance in the State for groups under the provisions of sections 14 through 27 of P.L.1997, c.146 (C.17B:27-54 through C.17B:27-67) and coverage under the health insurance coverage is not renewed; and
(3) the insurer may not provide for the issuance of any health insurance coverage for groups in this State under the provisions of sections 14 through 27 of P.L.1997, c.146 (C.17B:27-54 through C.17B:27-67), during a five-year period beginning on the termination date of the last health insurance coverage that was not renewed.