2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 17B - INSURANCE
Section 17B:26A-7 - Outline of coverage, regulations
17B:26A-7. Outline of coverage, regulations
7. a. In order to provide for full and fair disclosure in the sale of medicare supplement policies, no medicare supplement policy or certificate shall be delivered or issued for delivery in this State unless an outline of coverage is delivered to the applicant at the time application is made.
b. The commissioner shall prescribe the format and content of the outline of coverage required by subsection a. of this section. For the purposes of this section, "format" means style, arrangement and overall appearance, including such items as the size, color and prominence of the font used, paper size and weight and the arrangement of text and captions. The outline of coverage shall include:
(1) A description of the principal benefits and coverage provided in the policy;
(2) (Deleted by amendment, P.L.1992, c.163).
(3) A statement of the renewal provisions, including any reservation by the insurer of a right to change premiums, and disclosure of the existence of any automatic renewal premium increases based on the policyholder's age; and
(4) A statement that the outline of coverage is a summary of the policy issued or applied for and that the policy should be consulted to determine governing contractual provisions.
c. The commissioner may require by regulation the publication of forms and an informational brochure with a standardized format and content, to serve as an aid in the selection of appropriate coverage, if any, by those eligible for medicare, and to aid the consumer in improving his understanding of medicare benefits. Except in the case of direct response solicitation insurance policies, the commissioner may require by regulation that the informational brochure be provided, concurrently with delivery of the outline of coverage, to all prospective insureds eligible for medicare. With respect to direct response solicitation insurance policies, the commissioner may require by regulation that the prescribed brochure be provided upon request to any prospective insureds eligible for medicare, but in no event later than the time of policy delivery.
d. The commissioner may promulgate regulations for captions or notice requirements for all accident and sickness insurance policies sold to persons eligible for medicare, other than for medicare supplement policies, to inform those prospective insureds that the particular insurance coverage is not a medicare supplement policy.
e. The commissioner may further promulgate regulations to govern the full and fair disclosure of the information in connection with the replacement of insurance policies or certificates by persons eligible for medicare.
L.1982,c.94,s.7; amended 1992,c.163,s.6.