2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 17B - INSURANCE
Section 17B:17-13 - Misdemeanor to do business unless authorized
17B:17-13. Misdemeanor to do business unless authorized
a. No person shall act as an insurer in this State without complying with the applicable provisions of this Code.
b. No person by himself, or by his brokers, agents, solicitors, surveyors, canvassers or other representatives of whatever designation, nor any such broker, agent, solicitor, surveyor, canvasser, or other representative, shall solicit, negotiate or effect any contract of insurance of any kind or sign, deliver or transmit, by mail or otherwise, any policy or annuity contract or receive any premium, commission, fee or other payment thereon, or maintain or operate any office in this State for the transaction of the business of insurance, or in any manner, directly or indirectly, transact the business of insurance of any kind whatsoever, within this State, unless specifically authorized under the laws of this State.
c. Specific authorization under the laws of this State shall not be required with respect to the following:
(1) Investigation, settlement, or litigation of claims under an insurer's policies lawfully written in this State, or liquidation of such insurer's assets and liabilities (other than the collection of new premiums) all as resulting from its former authorized operation in this State.
(2) Transactions involving a policy subsequent to issuance thereof lawfully solicited, written, or delivered outside this State.
(3) Reinsurance when transacted as authorized under section 17B:18-62.
(4) The continuation and servicing of life or health insurance policies or annuity contracts remaining in force as to residents of this State when the insurer is not transacting new insurance therein.
(5) Group life or health insurance or annuity contracts covering residents of this State under a group policy or contract lawfully issued in another State.
d. Any person violating any of the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
L.1971, c. 144, s. 17B:17-13.