2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 12A - COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS
Section 12A:12-3 - Applicability of act to electronic records, signatures; exceptions
12A:12-3. Applicability of act to electronic records, signatures; exceptions
3. a. Except as provided in subsections b. and c. of this section, this act applies to electronic records and electronic signatures relating to a transaction.
b. This act does not apply to a transaction to the extent it is governed by:
(1) a law governing the creation and execution of wills, codicils or testamentary trusts;
(2) the Uniform Commercial Code other than sections 1-107 and 1-206, Article 2 and Article 2A;
(3) a statute, regulation or other rule of law governing adoption, divorce or other matters of family law.
c. This act does not apply to:
(1) court orders or notices or official court documents (including briefs, pleadings and other writings) required to be executed in connection with court proceedings;
(2) any notice of:
(a) the cancellation or termination of utility services (including water, heat and power);
(b) the default, acceleration, repossession, foreclosure or eviction, or the right to cure, under a credit agreement secured by, or a rental agreement for, a primary residence of an individual;
(c) the cancellation or termination of health insurance benefits or life insurance benefits (excluding annuities); or
(d) the recall of a product, or material failure of a product, that risks endangering health or safety; or
(3) any document required to accompany any transportation or handling of hazardous materials, pesticides or other toxic or dangerous materials.
d. This act applies to an electronic record or electronic signature otherwise excluded from the application of this act under subsection b. of this section to the extent it is governed by a law other than those specified in subsection b. of this section.
e. A transaction subject to this act is subject also to other applicable substantive law.
L.2001, c.116, s.3.