2017 New Jersey Revised Statutes
TITLE 12A - COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS
Section 12A:12-18 - Use of electronic records, signatures by governmental agencies; specifications
12A:12-18. Use of electronic records, signatures by governmental agencies; specifications
18. a. Except as otherwise provided in subsection f. of section 12 of this act or section 17 of this act, each governmental agency shall determine whether, and the extent to which, it will send and accept electronic records and electronic signatures to and from other persons, and otherwise create, generate, communicate, store, process, use and rely upon electronic records and electronic signatures.
b. To the extent a governmental agency uses electronic records and electronic signatures under subsection a. of this section, the governmental agency, giving due consideration to security, may specify:
(1) the manner and format in which the electronic records must be created, generated, sent, communicated, received and stored and the system established for those purposes;
(2) if electronic records must be signed by electronic means, the type of electronic signature required, the manner and format in which the electronic signature must be affixed to the electronic record, and the identity of, or criteria that must be met by, any third party used by a person filing a document to facilitate the process;
(3) control processes and procedures appropriate to ensure adequate preservation, disposition, integrity, security, confidentiality and auditability of electronic records; and
(4) any other required attributes for electronic records which are currently specified for corresponding nonelectronic records, or reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
c. Except as otherwise provided in subsection f. of section 12 of this act or section 17 of this act, this act does not require a governmental agency to use or permit the use of electronic records or electronic signatures.
L.2001, c.116, s.18.