2016 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 39 - Motor Vehicles And Traffic Regulation
Section 39:2-3.6 - Liability For Civil Action.
39:2-3.6 Liability for civil action.
4. a. A person who knowingly obtains, discloses or uses personal information from a motor vehicle record for a purpose not permitted under this act shall be liable to the individual to whom the information pertains, who may bring a civil action in the Superior Court.
b. The court may award:
(1) actual damages, but not less than liquidated damages in the amount of $2,500;
(2) punitive damages upon proof of willful or reckless disregard of the law;
(3) reasonable attorney's fees and other litigation costs reasonably incurred; and
(4) such other preliminary and equitable relief as the court determines to be appropriate.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.