2016 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 17 - Corporations And Institutions For Finance And Insurance
Section 17:9A-71 - Definitions
Definitions. A. For the purposes of this article:
(1) "Controlling interest" means ownership or control of a majority of the issued and outstanding capital stock or securities of a corporation, having voting rights;
(2) "Corporation" means a corporation in which a director or an executive officer of a bank has a controlling interest or in which a director or an executive officer of a bank together with one or more other directors or executive officers of the bank has a controlling interest; "corporation" includes all subsidiaries of a corporation in which the corporation has a controlling interest;
(3) "Executive officer" means only those officers of a bank who participate in major policymaking functions of the bank otherwise than in the capacity of a director of the bank;
(4) "Partnership" means a partnership in which a director or an executive officer of a bank is a general or limited partner;
(5) "Liability" means indebtedness and liability to a bank of every kind and in every capacity, other than liability in a fiduciary capacity in which the fiduciary may lawfully incur such liability without personal responsibility therefor; "liable" means obligated for a liability;
(6) "Board of directors" means at least a majority of the members of the board of directors of a bank, and "executive committee" means at least a majority of the members of the executive committee of the board of directors;
(7) "Application" means a written, signed request by a director or an executive officer of a bank, or by a corporation or partnership, to be permitted to incur liability to the bank, and "applicant" means the signer of an application;
(8) Liability to a bank, payable on demand, shall be deemed to have a maturity six months from the date of incurring such liability;
(9) Any whole or part renewal or extension of any liability to a bank incurred pursuant to this article shall be deemed to be an initial incurring or liability to the bank.
(10) "Officer" means any officer other than an executive officer who participates in the operating management of a bank.
B. The commissioner may, from time to time, make, amend and repeal regulations, including (1) prescribing what constitutes "policymaking" within the meaning of paragraph (3) of subsection A of this section; and (2) increasing or decreasing the total amount in which a director or executive officer of a bank may become liable to the bank as prescribed by paragraph (5) of subsection B of section 72 (C. 17:9A-72); and (3) prescribing limitations on the liabilities to a bank which an officer who is not an executive officer of such bank may be permitted to incur to such bank. Regulations made pursuant to this article shall be directed toward creating and maintaining a substantial parity between banks and national banks in prescribing the amount in which a bank may permit an executive or other officer to become liable to it.
L. 1948, c. 67, p. 250, s. 71. Amended by L. 1966, c. 273, s. 1, eff. Sept. 6, 1966; L. 1979, c. 226, s. 2, eff. Oct. 12, 1979; L. 1985, c. 528, s. 7, eff. Jan. 21, 1986.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.