2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 42 - PARTNERSHIPS AND PARTNERSHIP ASSOCIATIONS
Section 42:2A-28 - Person erroneously believing himself a limited partner
42:2A-28. Person erroneously believing himself a limited partner
Person erroneously believing himself a limited partner.
a. Except as provided in subsection b., a person who makes a contribution to a business enterprise and erroneously but in good faith believes that he has become a limited partner in the enterprise is not a general partner in the enterprise and is not bound by its obligations by reason of making the contribution, receiving distributions from the enterprise, or exercising any rights of a limited partner, if, on ascertaining that no certificate of limited partnership was ever filed with the Secretary of State or a certificate of limited partnership has been filed which names the person as a general partner in the enterprise he promptly:
(1) Causes an appropriate certificate of limited partnership, certificate of correction or a certificate of amendment to be executed and filed; or
(2) Withdraws from future equity participation in the enterprise by executing and filing in the office of the Secretary of State a certificate declaring withdrawal under this section.
b. A person who makes a contribution of the kind described in subsection a. is liable as a general partner to any third party who transacted business with the enterprise if the third party actually believed in good faith that the person was a general partner at the time of the transaction and no certificate of limited partnership was ever filed or a certificate of limited partnership was filed which names the person as a general partner, and:
(1) The business is transacted before an appropriate certificate of limited partnership is filed stating that the enterprise is a limited partnership and indicating in effect that the person is not a general partner;
(2) In the case of an amendment, it is after expiration of the 30-day period for filing an amendment indicating in effect that the person is not a general partner under section 16 of P.L. 1983, c. 489 (C. 42:2A-17) and the amendment has not been filed;
(3) Before the person withdraws, and an appropriate certificate, as provided in section 27 of P.L. 1983, c. 489 (C. 42:2A-28), is filed to show the withdrawal; or
(4) The business is transacted before an appropriate certificate of correction is filed indicating in effect that the person is not a general partner and the third party actually relied in good faith upon the foregoing inaccuracy and is adversely affected by the correction.
L. 1983, c. 489, s. 27; amended 1988,c.130,s.15.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.