2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 34 - LABOR AND WORKMEN'S COMPENSATION
Section 34:8-46 - Cases where act not applicable
34:8-46. Cases where act not applicable
The provisions of this act shall not apply to:
a. A teachers' registry conducted by an association of certified teachers, whose membership is not less than 10 certified teachers, incorporated as a nonprofit organization under the laws of New Jersey, and operated under the supervision of a teacher recognized and approved as a certified teacher by the Department of Education of this State, or by the duly established authority of the state in which the employment is procured, which registry procures positions only for certified teachers who are recognized and approved as certified teachers by the Department of Education of this State;
b. Any State, federal, municipal or charitable agency which does not charge fees;
c. Any department or bureau which is maintained by persons for the purpose of securing help for themselves and does not charge fees to job seekers. The exemption from the provisions of this act provided by this subsection shall not be construed to exempt associations or organizations of employers from the requirement to procure the licenses or registration otherwise required under this act;
d. The procuring of employment by any labor union for any of its members in any job coming under the jurisdiction of the union; provided, that no fee is charged any member for being furnished employment or information where employment may be procured;
e. Any nurses' registry operated by any association of registered nurses, whose membership is not less than 10 registered nurses, duly incorporated as a nonprofit organization under the laws of New Jersey, and operated under the supervision of a registered nurse authorized to practice in the State of New Jersey; except that no nurses' registry shall furnish help or employment to anyone other than a registered nurse, a practical nurse licensed by the State, or a person, other than a baby sitter, who is approved by the registered nurse in charge of the nurses' registry and is sent by the agency to an employer to assist nonprofessionally in the care of the sick or ailing; f. Any association of farmers which:
(1) Is duly incorporated on a nonprofit basis, under the laws of New Jersey;
(2) Is certified to the director by the Secretary of Agriculture of New Jersey as being an association of bona fide farmers of New Jersey;
(3) Does not furnish job seekers to employers other than members of their association; and
(4) Does not charge fees to any job seeker for being furnished employment or information where employment may be procured.
g. Any person who furnishes farmers with field or harvest workers to be employed on a seasonal basis, and charges no fee either directly or indirectly to any worker, if the wages of the workers are paid directly to the workers by the farmers who employ them.
The exemptions established in this subsection and subsection f. of this section shall not apply to any person who induces or attempts to induce a person working under contract with an employer to leave the employment in which he is working under that contract before the contract is completed or the worker is no longer responsible for its completion;
h. Any temporary help service firm which does not:
(1) Charge a fee or liquidated charge to any individual employed by the firm or in connection with employment by the firm;
(2) Prevent or inhibit, by contract, any of the individuals it employs from becoming employed by any other person;
(3) Knowingly send individuals it employs to, or knowingly continue to render services to, any plant or office where a strike or lockout is in progress for the purpose of replacing individuals who are striking or who are locked out. Any person conducting a temporary help service firm which knowingly sends its employed individuals to, or knowingly continues to render services to, a plant or office where a strike or lockout is in progress for the purpose of replacing those individuals who are striking or who are locked out or, directly or indirectly counsels, aids or abets that action shall be liable to a penalty of $1,000 upon each occurrence. The penalty shall be sued for, and received by and in the name of the Attorney General and shall be collected and enforced by summary proceedings pursuant to "the penalty enforcement law" (N.J.S.2A:58-1 et seq.).
This exclusion shall apply to temporary help service firms operated by any person who also operates an employment agency as long as the businesses are independently operated as prescribed by rules and regulations promulgated by the Attorney General;
i. Any news periodical which contains listings of or classified advertisements for jobs, positions, employers, or job seekers where the periodical also contains news stories of general interest, articles or essays of opinion, features and other advertising and which is offered to the general public for sale at a nominal fee;
j. Any nonprofit educational, religious or charitable institution which provides career counseling, job placement or other employment-related services, skills evaluation, skills analysis, or testing for vocational ability in order to develop a vocational profile to counsel individuals and recommend placement opportunities as part of the fulfillment of its educational, religious or charitable purpose;
k. Any copying, printing, duplicating or resume preparation service which in no instance charges a fee, directly or indirectly, for providing any employment-related service other than copying, printing, duplicating or assisting in arranging the layout of a resume.
L.1989, c.331, s.5.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.