2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 26 - HEALTH AND VITAL STATISTICS
Section 26:2H-78 - Violations, penalties
26:2H-78. Violations, penalties
28. a. A health care professional who intentionally fails to act in accordance with the requirements of this act is subject to discipline for professional misconduct pursuant to section 8 of P.L.1978, c.73 (C.45:1-21).
b. A health care institution that intentionally fails to act in accordance with the requirements of this act shall be subject to a fine of not more than $1,000 for each offense. For the purposes of this subsection, each violation shall constitute a separate offense. Penalties for violations of this act shall be recovered in a summary civil proceeding, brought in the name of the State in a court of competent jurisdiction pursuant to "the penalty enforcement law" (N.J.S.2A:58-1 et seq.).
c. The following acts constitute crimes:
(1) To willfully conceal, cancel, deface, obliterate or withhold personal knowledge of an advance directive or a modification or revocation thereof, without the declarant's consent, is a crime of the fourth degree.
(2) To falsify or forge an advance directive or a modification or revocation thereof of another individual is a crime of the fourth degree.
(3) To coerce or fraudulently induce the execution of an advance directive or a modification or revocation thereof is a crime of the fourth degree.
(4) To require or prohibit the execution of an advance directive or a modification or revocation thereof as a condition of coverage under any policy of health insurance, life insurance or annuity, or governmental benefits program, or as a condition of the provision of health care is a crime of the fourth degree.
d. Commission of any of the acts identified in paragraphs (1), (2), or (3) of subsection c., resulting in the involuntary earlier death of a patient, shall constitute a crime of the fourth degree.
e. The sanctions provided in this section shall not be construed to repeal any sanctions applicable under other law.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.