2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 19 - ELECTIONS
Section 19:44A-35 - Expenditures from fund for election campaign expenses; rules and regulations; purposes; return of unexpended funds
19:44A-35. Expenditures from fund for election campaign expenses; rules and regulations; purposes; return of unexpended funds
a. All expenditures from the fund for election campaign expenses shall be made pursuant to rules and regulations of the Election Law Enforcement Commission and shall be strictly limited to the following purposes:
(1) Purchase of time on radio and television stations;
(2) Purchase of rental space on outdoor signs or billboards;
(3) Purchase of advertising space in newspapers and regularly published magazines and periodicals;
(4) Payment of the cost of producing the material aired or displayed on radio, television, outdoor signs or billboards, and in newspapers, regularly published magazines and periodicals;
(5) Payment of the cost of printing and mailing campaign literature and brochures distributed under the name of any qualified candidate;
(6) Payment of the cost of legal and accounting expenses incurred in complying with the public financing regulations of the Election Law Enforcement Commission and with the public financing provisions of P.L.1974, c. 26 (C. 19:44A-27 et seq.);
(7) Payment of the cost of telephone deposits, and installation charges and monthly billings in excess of deposits. Within 6 months after the primary and general elections, respectively, a candidate shall return to the fund the amount of any public funds used to pay such telephone deposits which are later returned.
b. The limitations in subsection a. of this section upon expenditures from the fund for election campaign expenses shall not apply to expenditures of private contributions, whether or not such private contributions were deposited in a candidate's bank accounts pursuant to section 7 of P.L.1974, c. 26 (C. 19:44A-32).
c. Moneys received by a qualified candidate from the fund for election campaign expenses may be retained for a period not exceeding 6 months after the election for which such moneys were received in order to liquidate all obligations to pay expenses for the purposes permitted by this section which were incurred during the election campaign. All obligations having been liquidated, all moneys remaining available to any qualified candidate, shall be paid into the fund, except that no candidate shall pay into the fund moneys in excess of moneys received from the fund.
L.1974, c. 26, s. 10, eff. May 6, 1974. Amended by L.1980, c. 74, s. 10, eff. July 23, 1980.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.