2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 19 - ELECTIONS
Section 19:12-9 - Publication of certain election procedures required
19:12-9. Publication of certain election procedures required
8. a. The county board in each county shall cause to be published in a daily newspaper of general circulation throughout the county, a notice containing the information specified in subsection b. hereof. This notice shall be published once on the seventh day preceding the day fixed for a municipal, primary, general or special election and once on the day preceding the day fixed for a primary, general or special election,
b. At the top of the notice the words "Public Notice to All Registered Voters of (insert appropriate name) County" shall be printed in at least 30-point bold-faced capital type. Next underneath, the words "You are hereby advised of the following procedure to be used for the (insert appropriate date and type of election) election:" shall be printed in at least 12-point bold-faced type.
The body of the notice shall be printed in at least 10-point bold-faced type and shall set forth:
(1) that any person attempting to vote may be challenged by a duly authorized challenger for a political party or a candidate or on a public question, or by a member of the district board of elections, because the voter's name appears on a challenge list prepared by the superintendent of elections of the county or because the challenger or board member has good cause to believe that the voter is not entitled to vote;
(2) that members of the district board and all duly authorized challengers are prohibited from challenging, delaying or preventing the right to vote of any person because of that person's race, color, national origin, expected manner of casting a vote or residence in a particular ward, housing complex or section of a municipality or county;
(3) the means by which any person who is challenged because that person's name appears on a challenge list prepared by the superintendent of elections of the county may seek to establish the person's right to vote, as provided in R.S.19:32-18;
(4) the means by which any person whose name does not appear on a challenge list prepared by the superintendent of elections of the county but who is challenged by a duly authorized challenger or by a member of the district board of elections may seek to establish the person's right to vote, as provided in section 2 of P.L.1991, c.249 (C.19:15-18.1);
(5) that any challenger who succeeds in denying a voter the right to vote must sign an affidavit stating the reason why the voter is not entitled to vote and must furnish a copy of the affidavit to the challenged voter, as provided in section 3 of P.L.1991, c.249 (C.19:15-18.2);
(6) the legal remedy which any person whose name does not appear on a challenge list prepared by the superintendent but who is challenged by a duly authorized challenger or by a member of the district board of elections and denied the right to vote may use to seek permission to vote, as provided in section 6 of P.L.1991, c.249 (C.19:15-18.3);
(7) that forms to register complaints about the conduct of an election shall be available at each polling place in the county; and (8) the names of the chairman, secretary, clerk and members of the county board of elections and a telephone number at which they may be reached for more information.
c. In counties in which the primary language of 10% or more of the registered voters is Spanish, two notices containing the information in subsection b. of this section shall appear side-by-side, one in English and one in Spanish. The notices shall be identical in size, content and type face.
d. The cost of publishing the notices required by this section shall be paid by the respective counties.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.