2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 18A - EDUCATION
Section 18A:8-11 - Contents of answer to petition
18A:8-11. Contents of answer to petition
In such answer said municipality may:
a. Consent to the granting of the application; or
b. Oppose the same because, if the same be granted--
1. An excessive debt burden will be imposed upon the remaining district,
2. An efficient school system cannot be maintained in the remaining district without excessive costs,
3. Insufficient pupils will be left in the remaining district to maintain a properly graded school system, or
4. Of any other reason, which it may deem to be sufficient; or
c. Request that if the petition be granted, the amount of debt which the remaining district would be required to assume, calculated as hereinbefore provided, be reduced for the reason that--
1. Such amount of indebtedness, together with all other indebtedness of the municipality would be excessive,
2. The amount of expenditure for debt service which would be required would be so great that sufficient funds would not be available for current expenses without excessive taxation, or
3. Such amount of indebtedness is inequitable in relation to the value of the property to be acquired by the remaining district and would materially impair the credit of the municipality or such districts and the ability to pay punctually the principal and interest of their debt and to supply such essential educational facilities and public improvements and services as might reasonably be anticipated would be required of them.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.