2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 18A - EDUCATION
Section 18A:76-1 - Construction
This law is a revision law and the provisions hereof, not inconsistent with prior laws, shall be construed as a continuation of such prior laws and its enactment shall not:
1. Abolish or require the reestablishment of any office, position or employment lawfully existing upon the effective date of this law or affect the term or tenure, compensation and pension rights, if any, of any lawful holder thereof upon said date; or
2. Abolish or require the reestablishment or reorganization of any board, commission or public body, lawfully existing on said date, or affect the term or tenure, compensation and pension rights, if any, of any member thereof, nor shall any provision of this law for the appointment or election of the first members of any such board, commission or public body be construed to require that any members lawfully in office upon the effective date of this law or their successors shall be reappointed by staggered terms or in any other manner than for the full terms prescribed by this law, but every such board, commission or public body, shall, after the effective date of this law, be governed and administered under the provisions of this law; or
3. Affect or impair or make invalid any provision of any ordinance, resolution, order, rule or regulation, lawfully adopted and in force upon the effective date of this law, except so far as the same is inconsistent with any of the provisions of this law; or
4. Require that any proceeding, begun by the adoption of any resolution, passage on first reading of any ordinance, or the adoption of any proposal, proposition or question, under and in accordance with the law in effect at the time this law becomes effective, shall be carried on to its final conclusion in accordance with this law but the same may be carried to final conclusion under the law under which it was begun as though this law had not been enacted; or
5. Require the resubmission to the voters of any statute or proposal adopted by such voters prior to, and effective upon, the effective date of this law or in any manner affect the validity and operation of such statute after said date, except so far as the same is inconsistent with any of the provisions of this law; or
6. Discharge, release or affect any liability, penalty or forfeiture, civil or criminal, committed prior to the effective date of this law but all proceedings for the enforcement of any such liability, penalty or forfeiture shall be commenced and continued and be proceeded with in all respects in accordance with the law in effect when the same was incurred and notwithstanding that such law, or any part thereof, has been repealed or altered by the enactment of this law; or
7. Revive any common law right or remedy by reason of the repeal of any law by this law.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.