2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 18A - EDUCATION
Section 18A:65-26 - Board of trustees; control of properties, funds, trusts, investments, etc.; committee memberships
18A:65-26. Board of trustees; control of properties, funds, trusts, investments, etc.; committee memberships
The board of trustees:
(1) Shall act in an overall advisory capacity;
(2) Shall (a) control (i) properties, funds and trusts vested, as of August 31, 1956, in the corporation in possession or remainder or expectancy (other than and expressly excluding properties and funds owned by or title to which is in the state of New Jersey or which are held upon an express trust for the use of the state, or which have been acquired by the use of moneys appropriated by the state or by the federal government to the use of the corporation or the land grant college of New Jersey, including but not limited to real estate, buildings, improvements, fixtures, and appurtenances thereto, and tangible personal property); and (ii) properties, funds and trusts received by the corporation on or after September 1, 1956, by private gift, donation, bequest or transfer, in any manner, under the terms of any applicable trust, gift, bequest or donation dated or delivered (aa) prior to September 1, 1956, unless otherwise designated, or (bb) on or after September 1, 1956, if so designated; provided, however, that all property, educational facilities, rights and privileges which are impressed with a public trust for higher education of the people of the state of New Jersey shall continue to be so impressed; and (b) make available (after meeting all expenses of its administration) to the board of governors the income from such funds and the use of or income from such properties, subject to the provisions stated hereinafter in section 18A:65-27;
(3) Shall have sole authority over the investment of funds under its control;
(4) Shall have power to maintain such administrative staff and incur and pay such expenses as it deems reasonably necessary to the effective exercise of its functions and responsibilities under this chapter or by reason of any other fiduciary responsibilities to which it is subject; and
(5) Shall be represented on the membership of the committees of the several colleges.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.