2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 18A - EDUCATION
Section 18A:13-71 - Answers, petition to board of review; granting, denial
18A:13-71. Answers, petition to board of review; granting, denial
Within 15 days after the filing of the answers to the petition, the Commissioner of Education shall submit the petition and answers to a board of review consisting of the commissioner, as chairman, the State Treasurer or his designee and the Director of the Division of Local Government Services in the Department of Community Affairs, for a determination as to whether or not the petition should be granted, and if so, the amount of indebtedness, if any, to be assumed by the withdrawing municipality and the all purpose regional district upon approval of the legal voters of the withdrawing municipality and the remaining constituent municipalities at a special school election. The board of review shall consider the effect of the proposed withdrawal upon the educational and financial condition of the withdrawing municipality and the all purpose regional district and shall schedule and hold a public hearing on the petition upon the application of any interested party. In considering the effect of the proposed withdrawal upon the educational and financial condition of the withdrawing and remaining municipalities the board of review shall:
a. Consent to the granting of the application;
b. Oppose the granting of the application because, if it is granted:
(1) An excessive debt burden will be imposed upon the withdrawing municipality and regional district;
(2) An efficient school system cannot be maintained in the all purpose regional district or the withdrawing municipality without excessive costs;
(3) Insufficient pupils will be left in the all purpose regional district to maintain a properly graded school system; or
(4) Any other reason, which it may deem to be sufficient; or
c. Request that if the petition is granted, the amount of debt which the regional district would be required to assume, calculated as hereinbefore provided, be reduced for the reason that:
(1) The amount of indebtedness, together with all other indebtedness of the constituent municipalities of the all purpose regional district would be excessive;
(2) The amount of expenditure for debt service which would be required would be so great that sufficient funds would not be available for current expenses without excessive taxation; or
(3) The amount of indebtedness is inequitable in relation to the value of the property to be acquired by the all purpose regional district and would materially impair the credit of the constituent municipalities of the district, and the ability to pay punctually the principal and interest of their debt and so supply the essential educational facilities and public improvements and services that might reasonably be anticipated would be required of them. The board of review shall make its findings and determination, by the recorded vote of at least two of the three members of the board, within 60 days of the receipt of the petition and answers.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.