2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 14A - CORPORATIONS, GENERAL
Section 14A:7-11 - Certificates representing shares
14A:7-11. Certificates representing shares
(1) The shares of a corporation shall be represented by certificates or, in accordance with subsection 14A:7-11(6), shall be uncertificated shares. Certificates shall be signed by, or in the name of the corporation by, the chairman or vice-chairman of the board, or the president or a vice-president, and may be countersigned by the treasurer or an assistant treasurer, or the secretary or an assistant secretary of the corporation and may be sealed with the seal of the corporation or a facsimile thereof. Any or all signatures upon a certificate may be a facsimile. In case any officer, transfer agent or registrar who has signed or whose facsimile signature has been placed upon such certificate, shall have ceased to be such officer, transfer agent, or registrar before such certificate is issued, it may be issued by the corporation with the same effect as if he were such officer, transfer agent or registrar at the date of its issue.
(2) Every share certificate delivered after the effective date of this act by a corporation which is authorized to issue shares of more than one class shall set forth upon the face or back of the certificate, a full statement
(a) Of the designations, relative rights, preferences and limitations of the shares of each class and series authorized to be issued, so far as the same have been determined, and
(b) Of the authority of the board to divide the shares into classes or series and to determine and change the relative rights, preferences and limitations of any class or series, or shall set forth that the corporation will furnish to any shareholder, upon request and without charge, such a full statement.
(3) Each certificate representing shares shall state upon the face thereof
(a) That the corporation is organized under the laws of this State;
(b) The name of the person to whom issued; and
(c) The number and class of shares, and the designation of the series, if any, which such certificate represents.
(4) No certificate shall be issued for any share until such share is fully paid.
(5) A card which is punched, magnetically coded or otherwise treated so as to facilitate machine or automatic processing, may be used as a share certificate if it otherwise complies with the provisions of this section.
(6) The board may provide that some or all of the shares of any class or series shall be represented by uncertificated shares. Within a reasonable time after the issuance or transfer of uncertificated shares, the corporation shall send to the registered owner thereof a written notice containing the information required to be set forth or stated on certificates by subsections 14A:7-11(2) and 14A:7-11(3), and if required, 14A:7-12(2). Except as otherwise expressly provided by law, the rights and obligations of the holders of uncertificated shares and the rights and obligations of the holders of certificates representing shares of the same class and series shall be identical.
L.1968, c.350; amended 1973,c.366,s.36; 1988,c.94,s.42.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.