2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Section 14A:12-12 - Notice to creditors; filing claims

NJ Rev Stat § 14A:12-12 (2013) What's This?

14A:12-12. Notice to creditors; filing claims
(1) At any time after a corporation has been dissolved, the corporation, or a receiver appointed for the corporation pursuant to this chapter, may give notice requiring all creditors to present their claims in writing. Such notice shall be published 3 times, once in each of 3 consecutive weeks, in a newspaper of general circulation in the county in which the registered office of the corporation is located and shall state that all persons who are creditors of the corporation shall present written proof of their claims to the corporation or the receiver, as the case may be, at a place and on or before a date named in the notice, which date shall not be less than 6 months after the date of the first publication.

(2) On or before the date of the first publication of the notice as provided in subsection 14A:12-12(1), the corporation, or the receiver, as the case may be, shall mail a copy of the notice to each known creditor of the corporation. The giving of such notice shall not constitute recognition that any person to whom such notice is directed is a creditor of the corporation other than for the purpose of receipt of notice hereunder.

(3) As used in this section, "creditor" means all persons to whom the corporation is indebted, and all other persons who have claims or rights against the corporation, whether liquidated or unliquidated, matured or unmatured, direct or indirect, absolute or contingent, secured or unsecured.

(4) Proof of the publication and mailing authorized by this section shall be made by an affidavit filed in the office of the Secretary of State.

L.1968, c.350; amended by L.1973, c. 366, s. 70, eff. May 1, 1974.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.