2013 New Jersey Revised Statutes
Title 14A - CORPORATIONS, GENERAL
Section 14A:11-2 - Notice of dissent; demand for payment; endorsement of certificates
14A:11-2. Notice of dissent; demand for payment; endorsement of certificates
(1) Whenever a vote is to be taken, either at a meeting of shareholders or upon written consents in lieu of a meeting pursuant to section 14A:5-6, upon a proposed corporate action from which a shareholder may dissent under section 14A:11-1, any shareholder electing to dissent from such action shall file with the corporation before the taking of the vote of the shareholders on such corporate action, or within the time specified in paragraph 14A:5-6(2)(b) or 14A:5-6(2)(c), as the case may be, if no meeting of shareholders is to be held, a written notice of such dissent stating that he intends to demand payment for his shares if the action is taken.
(2) Within 10 days after the date on which such corporate action takes effect, the corporation, or, in the case of a merger or consolidation, the surviving or new corporation, shall give written notice of the effective date of such corporate action, by certified mail to each shareholder who filed written notice of dissent pursuant to subsection 14A:11-2(1), except any who voted for or consented in writing to the proposed action.
(3) Within 20 days after the mailing of such notice, any shareholder to whom the corporation was required to give such notice and who has filed a written notice of dissent pursuant to this section may make written demand on the corporation, or, in the case of a merger or consolidation, on the surviving or new corporation, for the payment of the fair value of his shares.
(4) Whenever a corporation is to be merged pursuant to section 14A:10-5.1 or subsection 14A:10-7(4) and shareholder approval is not required under subsections 14A:10-5.1(5) and 14A:10-5.1(6), a shareholder who has the right to dissent pursuant to section 14A:11-1 may, not later than 20 days after a copy or summary of the plan of such merger and the statement required by subsection 14A:10-5.1(2) is mailed to such shareholder, make written demand on the corporation or on the surviving corporation, for the payment of the fair value of his shares.
(5) Whenever all the shares, or all the shares of a class or series, are to be acquired by another corporation pursuant to section 14A:10-9, a shareholder of the corporation whose shares are to be acquired may, not later than 20 days after the mailing of notice by the acquiring corporation pursuant to paragraph 14A:10-9(3)(b), make written demand on the acquiring corporation for the payment of the fair value of his shares.
(6) Not later than 20 days after demanding payment for his shares pursuant to this section, the shareholder shall submit the certificate or certificates representing his shares to the corporation upon which such demand has been made for notation thereon that such demand has been made, whereupon such certificate or certificates shall be returned to him. If shares represented by a certificate on which notation has been made shall be transferred, each new certificate issued therefor shall bear similar notation, together with the name of the original dissenting holder of such shares, and a transferee of such shares shall acquire by such transfer no rights in the corporation other than those which the original dissenting shareholder had after making a demand for payment of the fair value thereof.
(7) Every notice or other communication required to be given or made by a corporation to any shareholder pursuant to this Chapter shall inform such shareholder of all dates prior to which action must be taken by such shareholder in order to perfect his rights as a dissenting shareholder under this Chapter.
L.1968, c.350; amended 1973,c.366,s.61; 1988,c.94,s.65.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.