2009 New Jersey Code
34:15-120.4 - Application for compensation

34:15-120.4.   Application for compensation
   a.     After an award has been entered against an employer for compensation under any provision of the workers' compensation law, R.S. 34:15-1 et seq., and the Director of the Division of Workers' Compensation has filed an order for payment of compensation and assessments with the Clerk of the Superior Court pursuant to section 12 of P.L. 1966, c. 126 (C. 34:15-120.3) as a result of the employer's failure to provide lawful compensation, the claimant may apply to the Commissioner of Labor for compensation from the "uninsured employer's fund" in accordance with the procedures established by the Commissioner of Labor pursuant to section 16 of P.L. 1966, c. 126 (C. 34:15-120.7).

  b.     The Commissioner of Labor is charged with the conservation of the assets of the "uninsured employer's fund."  Notwithstanding the provisions of any other section of this act, no payments shall be made from the fund except upon application to and approval by the commissioner.  Review of any decision by the commissioner shall be in accordance with R.S. 34:15-66.

  c.     The Commissioner of Labor shall have the authority to establish rules for the review of claims against the "uninsured employer's fund" and hire and reimburse medical and other expert witnesses that are necessary to a proper conservation and defense of the moneys in the fund.

  d.     Upon being notified by the Commissioner of Labor that a decision of the commissioner regarding claims against the "uninsured employer's fund" is being appealed pursuant to R.S. 34:15-66, the Attorney General, or his designee, shall defend the fund.

  e.     The Commissioner of Labor may also employ such employees as may be required to maintain and conserve the "uninsured employer's fund," and may also employ legal counsel to represent the fund and conduct investigations on behalf of the fund.

  P.L. 1966, c. 126, s. 13; amended 1988,c.25,s.3.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.