2009 New Jersey Code
10:5-47. Conditions for disclosure of genetic information
TITLE 10 - CIVIL RIGHTS
10:5-47 - Conditions for disclosure of genetic information
8. a. Regardless of the manner of receipt or the source of genetic information, including information received from an individual, a person may not disclose or be compelled, by subpoena or any other means, to disclose the identity of an individual upon whom a genetic test has been performed or to disclose genetic information about the individual in a manner that permits identification of the individual, unless:
(1) Disclosure is necessary for the purposes of a criminal or death investigation or a criminal or juvenile proceeding;
(2) Disclosure is necessary to determine paternity in accordance with the provisions of section 11 of P.L.1983, c.17 (C.9:17-48);
(3) Disclosure is authorized by order of a court of competent jurisdiction;
(4) Disclosure is made pursuant to the provisions of the "DNA Database and Databank Act of 1994," P.L.1994, c.136 (C.53:1-20.17 et seq.);
(5) Disclosure is authorized by the tested individual or the tested individual's representative by signing a consent which complies with the requirements of the Department of Health and Senior Services;
(6) Disclosure is for the purpose of furnishing genetic information relating to a decedent for medical diagnosis of blood relatives of the decedent;
(7) Disclosure is for the purpose of identifying bodies;
(8) Disclosure is pursuant to newborn screening requirements established by State or federal law;
(9) Disclosure is authorized by federal law for the identification of persons; or
(10) Disclosure is by an insurer pursuant to the requirements of P.L.1985, c.179 (C.17:23A-1 et seq.).
b. The provisions of this section apply to any subsequent disclosure by any person after another person has disclosed genetic information or the identity of an individual upon whom a genetic test has been performed.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Jersey may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.