2019 New Hampshire Revised Statutes
Title X - Public Health
Chapter 137-J - Written Directives for Medical Decision Making for Adults Without Capacity to Make Health Care Decisions
Section 137-J:22 - Civil Action.

Universal Citation: NH Rev Stat § 137-J:22 (2019)
    137-J:22 Civil Action. –
I. The principal or any person who is a near relative of the principal, or who is a responsible adult who is directly interested in the principal by personal knowledge and acquaintance, including, but not limited to a guardian, social worker, physician, or member of the clergy, may file an action in the probate court of the county where the principal is located at the time:
(a) Requesting that the authority granted to an agent by an advance directive be revoked on the grounds that the principal was not of sound mind or was under duress, fraud, or undue influence when the advance directive was executed, and shall have all the rights and remedies provided by RSA 564-E:116 which shall apply to directives executed under this chapter and persons acting pursuant to this chapter.
(b) Challenging the right of any agent who is acting or who proposes to act as such pursuant to this chapter and naming another person, who agrees to so act, to be appointed guardian over the person of the principal for the sole purpose of making health care decisions, as provided for in RSA 464-A.
II. A copy of any such action shall be given in hand to the principal's attending physician or APRN and, as applicable, to the principal's health care provider or residential care provider. To the extent they are not irreversibly implemented, health care decisions made by a challenged agent shall not thereafter be implemented without an order of the probate court or a withdrawal or dismissal of the court action; provided, that this paragraph shall not be construed to authorize any violation of RSA 137-J:7, II or III.
III. The probate court in which such a petition is filed shall hold a hearing as expeditiously as possible.

Source. 2006, 302:2. 2009, 54:4, eff. July 21, 2009. 2017, 178:3, eff. Jan. 1, 2018.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Hampshire may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.